Wednesday, June 18, 2008

agh!

WOW! There really are no words to describe how I am feeling now. I am running on about a sixth of the sleep doctors recommend, and that is part of it. It’s part utter exhaustion, part indigestion, part awe, and part confusion… It doesn’t sound particularly pleasant, no, but it’s been a rough couple of days.

I won’t bore you all with the story of my flight. In case any of you were wondering, I ended up being on three flights. One seven hour, one seven hour, one one hour. The first to London (they took my toothpaste, easily a threat to other people’s security), the second to Nairobi (they took my pepto bismol and my saline solution- honestly, saline solution? What’s dangerous about this? It is meant to go in people’s eyes), and the third to Entebbe (they didn’t take anything, really, but the people on the flight weren’t very nice anyway).

The layover in London was absolutely incredible. I’ve never been somewhere quite so majestic. And whenever I hear a cockney accent, it makes me smile, so needless to say I was grinning all the way through. It looked exactly as it does in all those pictures in the history books (everything’s old, except for perhaps the advertisements. They are just as excited about Sex and the City there as people are here). We took a fantastic bus tour, and I took many fantastic pictures. All sorts of bronze statues of military heroes, and all sorts of castles and clocks and other royal things. I’ll get pictures up later; I don’t quite have the sense to do something so involved as I am now. It was very informative, but I don’t think I’ll remember any of it. The train back to the airport was interesting, as everyone was already drowsy.

“Do you know what the sausages are called here? They’re called bangors.”
-Mike Pahlow to the people we don’t know in the car adjacent to us

“Just laugh. Come on, just one smile and it’ll be over.”
-Mike Pahlow realizing Londoners are not particularly interested

I am lucky Melody made reservations at a four-hour hotel, otherwise I would not really be alive about now.

“No.”
-Mike Pahlow when asked if he figured out how to work the British showers


Little did I know I had one more little flight. And the service wasn’t friendly on this one.

“Where are you from?”
-Drunk guy who is under the impression that I want to talk to him

“NOT BLOODY LIKELY!”
-Slap-happy me finally getting into the spirit of the country I left seven hours ago


And then the last one. But this one was cake.

“Agreeance, which comes from the root Aggro, which means ‘to confide’… I totally just made that up!”
-JJ who hasn’t seemed to get any more tired since the beginning


At this point I just wanted sleep… 5 hours of sleep in the last 48

“What do you want from me? I’m really tired, just take this stuff”
-Me to the visa man in Entebbe, who probably took whatever it was I gave him


The next few hours are just a blur, I am too tired to think very deeply about it.

But one thing that is for sure no matter how tired I am,
Uganda is absolutely beautiful. It’s incredible!

Everyone is so friendly… It’s so different, but it’s certainly a welcoming sort of different. I love it.

This blog was probably complete drivel, but we haven’t really done anything quite yet.

Needless to say I am very excited for whatever it is to come.

Now I need sleep.

1 comment:

debbi said...

Ricky I am so happy to hear that you made it there safely. Sorry to hear about the things they took from you... hopefully someone has contact solution you can borrow. :) Enjoy every minute you have. I know that you are tired, but push through it because you are only there for such a short time. You will not regret it, I promise, you can sleep when you get back. :) Please hug our family for me and take care of yourself. I am very proud of you... work hard.. I love you.

Mom :)