Sunday, June 22, 2008

Days 4 and 5- Free day and Namyoya

Another exhausting couple of days... Wow!

Not just exhausting physically, but emotionally. Even mentally... It's absolutely incredible here, don't get me wrong, but it's just so different.

Case in point, the free day yesterday. The high point of the day was visiting the shops. The first place we went to was called National Theatre, and it was a sort of Marketplace. So, I got to barter! It's so different, but I was decent at it. All in all I spent maybe 80,000 (I feel so rich here), and saved maybe 30,000 (Mom will be so proud) on gifts for friends and family.

I bought an awesome little wooden turtle and a "Mzungu" (The Ugandan word for "white person"... Not derogatory or anything, either. Here you get plenty of "Mzungu!!!"s) for myself, all sorts of (surprise) gifts for the family, and one present for Patrick (and that's a test to see if you're reading, Pat. The code word to get the present is "banana").

After that, me, Gene, Luke, and Mike went to Garden City (a mall-like building that is pretty much a small piece of America) to go to a restaurant called Ranchers. The food wasn't exactly phenomenal, but it was amazing compared to what I have been eating (steak? yes!!!).


And, today we went to Namyoya for church and to visit families. Church was also dreadfully different (maybe two and a half-three hours long XD) but with the welcome we recieved I may as well have been one of The Beatles. The high point of that service was playing the songs we prepared... the whole team organized songs to sing along to. Our set was as follows:

1. Amazing Grace
2. Down in my Heart

No encore. No, it wasn't exactly the best show I have been to, but for what it's worth it was very enjoyable.

I played guitar on Amazing Grace, and put that away for Down in my Heart. And here's an interesting little anecdote: after two verses of Down in my Heart, we had Chris shout "R-r-r-Reeeemixxxxxx!" And JJ did a bit of a solo. The people really went for it, but perhaps it would've went a little better if the majority of the people in the room knew what the word "remix" meant.

Visiting houses wasn't so nice for me, since I wasn't in an amazing mood. I really haven't been lately, though. I've actually been pretty sad. It's all really overwhelming. I've seen so much, in such a short time, and so much I've never seen in my life. And still, the worst is yet to come...

I don't know what to do!

And perhaps it wouldn't be so bad if I weren't so homesick...

I want to go home. And I want to go to McDonald's, and I want to go to Guitar Center. And I want to go to bed.

And I can't do any of those right now.

Actually, I may be giving a completely wrong impression of my feelings about Uganda.

It's amazing! I love it. It's just beautiful, and the people are so easy to love.

It's just sad...

Amber says she feels like she's at home. And I feel like I'm really far away from home.

I love the idea of a second home. And I don't deny that it could be a fantastic home.

But I don't know if I want this to be my home... It's sad.

And again, I wonder if I am being selfish by wanting to stay home...

I think I'll sleep on the idea.

Maybe I can have more than one home. But right now I just want to go... home... and see my family and my pets.


Because that's where home's been all my life. There.



"Home is where the heart is..."
-A man who knows more than I thought he did at first

4 comments:

Ben Pahlow said...

Ya... I totally get it. This is a VERY normal reaction to things here. You are seeing the hardest part of realities and yet you want to go get comfortable yourself which makes you feel guilty after seeing so much devastation. Don't worry Rick... it will get better. Don't overthink things... home is home to you with McDonald's and all the other stuff. You will be surprised how much different things will look in a few days.

Keep up the blogging! I love to read it!

debbi said...

I agree with melody and ben.. it is very natural the feelings that you are having, but if you stay focused on that .. you will probably miss out on a lot of things. You have to put those feelings aside so you can focus on the reason why God has sent you to Africa. Your home will always be here Ricky you have a lifetime with your family, but you only have one more week with the wonderful people in Africa. This week has flown by and trust me the next week will go even faster, so you have to look at things a little different. I know that you have not had the opportunity of seeing families changed through the sponsorships, but I know through your blog that you see a difference between a family that is sponsored and seeing a family that has not yet been sponsored. Look on the positives of the work that is being done through GFR and how now people are getting hope when before they had none. That is an awesome thing and you are a part of that. You have such a short time left... I want you to put that wonderful smile on your face and enjoy the people in africa... hug them... play with the children.. smile... enjoy every minute you have, because you may never get back to Africa and I would hate for you to get on the plane and be regretting things that you could have done. I have really enjoyed reading your blogs.. like I wrote to you before.. I could picture the guy dancing with his cane and I can't help but smile and I see him too.. thank you for that... please blog your experiences with the families again... those are memories you will have forever. I am very proud of you ricky... wake up thank God and ask him to give you opportunities to help. You do not have much time left.. work hard... stay strong.. I know you can do it. :) smile smile smile and remember a smile, wave, just spending time playing or listening and showing that you care... means a lot ricky. :) you can do it... love you.. mom

Donna said...

Ricky- You don't know me and I don't know you, but I do know Taylor because she is my daughter. She doesn't have a blog, but I feel like I can get a little bit of insight into her by reading everyone else's. You and Taylor are the only "kids" on Team 2 without a parent along. I can't imagine the aloneness you might be feeling in that situation. But I will tell you what we have tried to instill in Taylor - live today with no regrets. You are in Uganda for a very short time compared with the rest of your life. The opportunities placed before you today will not be around tomorrow, so grab hold while you have the chance. Ricky, God has prepared you and placed you in Uganda today for His purpose. You may not even be able to recognize what that purpose is - ever. But He does, and He will honor your obedience in being there and loving the Ugandan people you encounter, even though it hurts. Ricky, I love you and the work you are doing with GFR. I purpose to pray for you specifically each day throughout the rest of this journey. Please give Taylor a hug for me!

Dan-the-Man said...

Dude, don't tell customs that you touched a chicken in Africa when you get back to the US. Can you say "strip search?"